Prez poll: BJP miffed over cross-voting
New Delhi: Upset over cross-voting in Karnataka by its party MLAs in the Presidential poll, BJP on Sunday asked its state unit to form a committee to thoroughly probe the issue and submit a report and announced that it would take appropriate action in the matter.
"The party is taking this matter very seriously. The Central leadership has asked the Karnataka BJP unit to form a committee to probe this cross-voting by our MLAs. Once we get the committee`s report we will take appropriate action," BJP general secretary in-charge of the state Dharmendra Pradhan told PTI.
Though the BJP is in power in Karnataka, UPA Presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee won 117 votes in the state while P A Sangma- who was backed by the ruling party-could win only 103 votes in the 224-member Assembly. Three votes were declared invalid while one MLA had not voted.
Mukherjee had only a pledged support 98 MLAs -- 71 from Congress and 27 from JD(S) -- but he managed to secure the support of 19 more legislators.
Sangma could only garner 103 votes, even though BJP has 119 members in the Assembly.
This has come as a shock to the BJP central leadership. However, it has come in the wake in intense infighting in the Karnataka unit of the party.
The party top brass was forced to make Lingayat leader Jagadish Shettar the chief minister on July 8. He is the third Chief Minister in the three years that the BJP has been in power in the southern state.
While sources claimed the Bellary brothers were responsible for the cross-voting in the Presidential election, others pointed fingers at former CM B S Yeddyurappa who had praised Mukherjee earlier, saying he is a good candidate.
Shettar and his predecessor Sadanand Gowda were appointed CM at the behest of Yeddyurappa, who had stepped down when he was indicted by the Karnataka Lokayukta in a graft case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming