Prithvi-II missile test-fired successfully
Balasore: India Friday successfully test-fired its indigenously developed, nuclear-capable,
ballistic missile Prithvi-II from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur, about 15 km from here off the Orissa coast.
The missile mounted on a mobile launcher was blasted off from the launch complex-3 in the ITR at around 6:50 am, defence sources said.
"The trial of Prithvi-II, conducted by the Army, has gone through nicely," ITR Director S P Dash said.
With a maximum striking range of 350 km, Prithvi-II is capable of carrying a pay-load of 500 kg.
The test firing of the surface-to-surface missile, which has already been inducted into Indian armed forces, was a users trial by the Army`s specialised group "strategic force
command" (SFC), the sources said.
Prithvi, the first ballistic missile developed under the country`s prestigious Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP), is propelled by liquid
propulsion twin engine.
With a length of nine metre and one metre diameter, Prithvi-II uses an advanced inertial guidance system with manoeuvring trajectory.
The entire trajectory of today`s trial was tracked by a battery of sophisticated radars and electro-optic telemetry stations positioned in different locations for the post-launch analysis, the sources said.
The trial was conducted in the presence of Army officials and scientists as part of an exercise to well acquaint the personnel with various aspects of the sophisticated missile, they said.
The last trial of the Prithvi-II missile was successfully conducted from the same site on March 27, 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31