Probe Subramanian Swamy’s charges against Rahul Gandhi: EC
New Delhi: The Election Commission has asked the Returning Officer of Amethi Lok Sabha constituency to probe allegations by Subramanian Swamy that Rahul Gandhi gave "wrong information" regarding his assets while filing nomination papers in the 2009 polls.
In a letter to Chief Electoral Officer on November 15, the Commission said Swamy has alleged that Gandhi had given "wrong information" relating to his assets and cited a June 2004 letter which said the Returning Officer is the competent authority to look into such complaints.
"Since the affidavit is filed before the Returning Officer, in view of the provisions of Section 195 of CrPC, it is the Returning Officer concerned, who is the competent authority to consider any complaint regarding false statement in the affidavit...," the EC letter said.
The letter written by Principal Secretary R K Srivastava also said if the Returning Officer is satisfied that the affidavit contained false statement, he can take appropriate follow up action.
The Commission directed the CEO to forward Swamy`s complaint to the Returning Officer for appropriate action.
"The Commission may be kept informed of the action taken in the matter," the letter said.
Swamy had earlier this month alleged that Gandhi did not show shares owned by him in Associated Journals which ran the now-defunct National Herald newspaper in the affidavit he filed during Lok Sabha elections in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you