Proposed NCTC interferes in states` domain: Gowda
New Delhi: Karnataka Chief Minister Sadananda Gowda on Saturday said powers of the proposed NCTC "undoubtedly" amount to interference in the domain of the state governments.
Speaking at the Chief Ministers` conference on National Counter Terrorism Centre, Gowda said while in the US there are federal crimes where agencies like FBI can directly intervene India has a uniform penal code yet its implementation is with the state governments.
"We are apprehensive that officers of NCTC could first arrest, search and seize and simply inform the local police officers stating that they were authorised to do so by the Director NCTC. This has to be avoided," he said.
He said NCTC operations will leave no freedom or discretion to assess the positions taken by NCTC officers as they will be bound to initiate proceedings under CrPC once they have been handed over custody of the accused.
"These provisions are disabling the state police officers and amount to directly interfering into legitimate domain of the state government and the state police. This must be prevented," Gowda said.
He said the officers of NCTC can itself set up inter-state intelligence support teams which will have adverse effect on the morale and motivation of the state police officers.
"The officers of NCTC can transfer the criminal and the State Police will have to prosecute them. If the case ends up in failure, the NCTC officers can put the blame on the state police and the state government. Politically the state government could be accused of inadequate support," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’