Pune blast "significant terror" act: Chidambaram
Chennai: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Saturday night described the blast in Pune as a "significant terrorist incident" since the Mumbai attacks 14 months ago and said all information pointed to a plot to trigger the explosion in a place frequented by foreigners and Indians.
He, however, said government would wait for the forensic report before drawing a conclusion.
"This is a sad event. Significant terrorist incident after 14 months", Chidambaram told mediapersons on the eve of his visit to Pune where the blast tore through the landmark German bakery in Koregaon locality killing 9 people and wounding 45.
The Home Minister said he was "deeply distressed" by the Pune blast and "all the information available to us at the moment point to a plot to explode a device in a place that is frequented by foreigners as well as Indians".
Chidambaram said the device was exploded in the eatery part of the German Bakery which was a short distance away from the Osho Ashram and from the Chabad House, Jewish prayer house.
He said the Centre had sensitized the Maharashtra government and the police that the Chabad House was a target of terrorists and today`s incident happened just a few metres away from the Chabad House.
Chidambaram said forensic experts have already reached the blast site in Pune.
The Home Minister asked the media not to speculate and give "some time" to the government "to gather forensic evidence and draw some conclusions and go by the official statement that are put out".
"I promise you there will be an official statement once every four or six hours. So, please don`t speculate on this and that".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days