Pune village landslide toll reaches 70 on day three
Pune: As hopes of finding more survivors are receding, rescuers dug out 29 more bodies since last night as the toll in the Malin landslide disaster rose to 70 late Friday evening.
Over 100 people were still feared trapped under the debris of the landslide that flattened 44 houses in the village located in a hilly terrain in Ambegaon taluka on Wednesday.
NDRF personnel, whose relentless rescue efforts entered the third day today, wore masks to keep out stench of the decomposed bodies.
The dead victims whose bodies have been extricated so far include 28 males, 32 females and 10 children, the district control room set up to monitor the situation said.
Mass cremations were being performed by relatives who reached the village.
Maharashtra government has announced assistance of Rs five lakh each to families of the victims.
The state relief and rehabilitation minister Patangrao Kadam told reporters that the rescue operation was expected to continue for another two days.
A lull in the rains this morning enabled NDRF jawans to clear the mud faster using JCBs and dumpers, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack