Puri elected UNSC counter-terror body chief
Washington: Indian Ambassador to the United Nations Hardeep Singh Puri has been elected Chairman of the all important Security Council Committee on counter-terrorism and two other key committees of this 15-membered body.
A formal announcement in this regard will be made today, sources told a news agency after the conclusion of silent procedure during which there was no challenge to India being elected as
Chairman of these three important UNSC committees.
Elected for a two-year term, Puri would chair the UN Security Council Counter-Terrorism Committee.
He replaces Ertugrul Apakan, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Turkey, whose term expired on December 31, 2010.
Guided by Security Council resolutions 1373 (2001) and 1624 (2005), the Security Council Counter-Terrorism Committee works to bolster the ability of United Nations member states to prevent terror acts both within their borders and across regions.
It was established in the wake of the September 11 terror attacks in the United States.
The Indian Ambassador has been elected as chairman of the Working Group of the UN Security Council on individuals, groups or entities involved in or associated with terrorist activities and possible compensation for their victims, established by its resolution no 1566 of 2004.
The post was again vacated by the Turkish Ambassador.
Puri has been elected as chairman of the Security Council Committee concerning Somalia and Eretria established by resolutions 751 in 1992 and 1907 in 2009.
The post was earlier held by Mexico.
Informal discussions of the Security Council were held yesterday to discuss and finalize the agenda and programme of the 15-membered body for January.
Bosnia and Herzegovinian hold the monthly rotating
presidency of the UN Security Council.
The first formal meeting of the UN Security Council is
scheduled to be held on Wednesday.
India, which joins the Security Council after a gap of 19
years, has said counter-terrorism would be its top priority
during its two-year term.
"One of our major pre-occupation is the issue of
terrorism. I expect that in the coming months we would have to
address that issue through the work of the Council," Puri had
"You can expect India to play a very active role in that.
This committee deals with issues like building capacities,
normative rules dealing with counter-terrorism and dealing
with India that is a major area of interest," the Ambassador
"I am not suggesting that this is something that we would
do immediately on that is starting immediately as we start the
work of the council. But in the coming months, we would give a
very high priority to this one," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared