Quota for MPs in central schools restored: Govt
New Delhi: The Human Resource Development (HRD) Ministry has decided to restore the MPs` quota for admission of students in Kendriya Vidyalayas, the Rajya Sabha was told Friday.
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal said the decision was taken at a meeting of the Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathana Thursday.
"We have decided to restore two nominations to each MP but I have surrendered both the minister quota and the MP quota for myself," he said.
The MPs can nominate two students from certain sections of the society to Kendriya Vidyalayas.
The government had abolished the quota after the enactment of Right to Education Act in April that reserves 25 percent seats in schools for local students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah