Quota for MPs in central schools restored: Govt
New Delhi: The Human Resource Development (HRD) Ministry has decided to restore the MPs` quota for admission of students in Kendriya Vidyalayas, the Rajya Sabha was told Friday.
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal said the decision was taken at a meeting of the Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathana Thursday.
"We have decided to restore two nominations to each MP but I have surrendered both the minister quota and the MP quota for myself," he said.
The MPs can nominate two students from certain sections of the society to Kendriya Vidyalayas.
The government had abolished the quota after the enactment of Right to Education Act in April that reserves 25 percent seats in schools for local students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list