Racist e-mails: 4 Australian cops sacked
Melbourne: Four Australian police officers were sacked and disciplinary action initiated against 15 others in connection with the circulation of racist emails wherein they joked about the electrocution of an Indian.
While four have been sacked, one has been demoted, another five have been fined up to 3000 dollars and placed on 12-month good behaviour bonds for their involvement in the
Nine officers will front the disciplinary panel on October 12 and October 15, with six to be heard the following week, `Herald Sun` reported today. Two officers quit rather
than face the secret hearings.
Yesterday, top police officers were caught in a racist e-mail scandal joking about the electrocution of an Indian train passenger and suggesting that it could be "a way to fix
the Indian student problem" in Melbourne.
The emails that were probed by the Ethical Standards Department`s Operation Barrot contain pornographic, homophobic, racist and violent material.
The Victoria police officers circulated sickening video footage showing the death of the man, who was travelling on the roof of a crowded train in India, the daily reported
Victoria Police had said that it would resume disciplinary hearings this week into the circulation of pornographic and racist emails within the force.
The newspaper said it was also discovered that some of the force`s highest-ranked officers have been implicated in the scandal, which also involves pornographic material.
Three superintendents were nabbed during an investigation into the circulation of inappropriate emails through the police computer system. Several inspectors have also been caught.
State Chief Commissioner Simon Overland and Premier John Brumby had condemned the actions of the police involved.
Overland described the material as "disturbing, offensive and gross", while Brumby said the racist e-mail was "contrary to the views and values at the heart of the Victorian
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH