Rahul Gandhi kicks-off Congress campaign in Delhi, praises Food Bill
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday kicked-off his party`s campaign for the upcoming Assembly election in Delhi by enlisting the benefits of the UPA government`s flagship National Food Security Bill and attacking the Opposition for criticising it.
Addressing a sea of supporters in the national capital, the Congress leader said, "Opposition says we are wasting money by going in for Food Security, but I say giving food to people isn`t wasting money."
Mentioning the highlights of the game changer anti-poverty legislation, Rahul said, "Earlier people talked about development but we now talk about rights...we have raised the issue of people`s right to get food."
Proving his point further, the Congress vice president said, "When foreigners visit us they are amazed by our (Congress govt) schemes. They`re surprised to see right to employment & food."
Shifting his focus to the Congress government in Delhi, Rahul Gandhi said, "Nation knows about Delhi`s infrastructure, this has been done by Congress, without Congress, this wouldn`t have happened."
Heaping praise on the Sheila Dikshit government, he said, "Whole country knows Congress government has built many flyovers, better roads and also the metro system in Delhi."
"People in the villages aspire to one day work and live in Delhi, we want to fulfil those dreams, "the Congress leader said amid thunderous applause from the supporters.
Rahul Gandhi`s attack on the Opposition came minutes after BJP leader Narendra Modi addressed a mega rally in Jaipur and blamed the ruling UPA government for corruption, scams and economic woes of the country.
In a bid to counter BJP, the Congress, it appears, have turned to its its vice president to take on Narendra Modi.
Rahul who is also national vice-president of the party will address tribal and farmer’s rally at Salumber in Udaipur district on September 11, a day after Modi’s rally in Jaipur. Another public rally of Rahul is scheduled in Baran district on September 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM