Rahul Gandhi kicks-off Congress campaign in Delhi, praises Food Bill
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday kicked-off his party`s campaign for the upcoming Assembly election in Delhi by enlisting the benefits of the UPA government`s flagship National Food Security Bill and attacking the Opposition for criticising it.
Addressing a sea of supporters in the national capital, the Congress leader said, "Opposition says we are wasting money by going in for Food Security, but I say giving food to people isn`t wasting money."
Mentioning the highlights of the game changer anti-poverty legislation, Rahul said, "Earlier people talked about development but we now talk about rights...we have raised the issue of people`s right to get food."
Proving his point further, the Congress vice president said, "When foreigners visit us they are amazed by our (Congress govt) schemes. They`re surprised to see right to employment & food."
Shifting his focus to the Congress government in Delhi, Rahul Gandhi said, "Nation knows about Delhi`s infrastructure, this has been done by Congress, without Congress, this wouldn`t have happened."
Heaping praise on the Sheila Dikshit government, he said, "Whole country knows Congress government has built many flyovers, better roads and also the metro system in Delhi."
"People in the villages aspire to one day work and live in Delhi, we want to fulfil those dreams, "the Congress leader said amid thunderous applause from the supporters.
Rahul Gandhi`s attack on the Opposition came minutes after BJP leader Narendra Modi addressed a mega rally in Jaipur and blamed the ruling UPA government for corruption, scams and economic woes of the country.
In a bid to counter BJP, the Congress, it appears, have turned to its its vice president to take on Narendra Modi.
Rahul who is also national vice-president of the party will address tribal and farmer’s rally at Salumber in Udaipur district on September 11, a day after Modi’s rally in Jaipur. Another public rally of Rahul is scheduled in Baran district on September 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Dutch far-right MP Wilders calls for referendum on EU
- Is the office 'cake culture' putting your health in danger?
- Gold price soars over Rs 2,000 per 10 grams as investors seek haven following Brexit
- Fearing arrest, Prachanda cancels Australia visit
- Who's the boss? Rohit Dhawan vs Varun Dhawan in hand wrestling competition! Watch video