Rahul Gandhi seeks PM`s nod for granting of minority status to Jains
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi on Sunday spoke to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and requested him to grant minority status to the Jain community, Congress sources said here.
They said that the Congress Vice President spoke to Singh soon after a delegation of Jain leaders led by Union Minister Pradeep Jain had met him today to seek his support for the notification of Jains as a minority community at the national level.
Earlier, AICC had said in a release that Jain Samaj leaders had spoken to Rahul about their long-pending demand for minority status for the community and urged him to support their cause.
"Rahul recognised the role played by the Jain community in the social, cultural and economic development of the country. He assured the delegation that he would do his utmost to ensure fair and equitable recognition and representation for the Jain community," the release said.
The delegation told Rahul that awarding of national minority status would help the community access central funds meant for welfare programmes and scholarships for minorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!