Rahul Gandhi seeks PM`s nod for granting of minority status to Jains
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi on Sunday spoke to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and requested him to grant minority status to the Jain community, Congress sources said here.
They said that the Congress Vice President spoke to Singh soon after a delegation of Jain leaders led by Union Minister Pradeep Jain had met him today to seek his support for the notification of Jains as a minority community at the national level.
Earlier, AICC had said in a release that Jain Samaj leaders had spoken to Rahul about their long-pending demand for minority status for the community and urged him to support their cause.
"Rahul recognised the role played by the Jain community in the social, cultural and economic development of the country. He assured the delegation that he would do his utmost to ensure fair and equitable recognition and representation for the Jain community," the release said.
The delegation told Rahul that awarding of national minority status would help the community access central funds meant for welfare programmes and scholarships for minorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Google unveils Android Nougat for Nexus devices
- BSNL waives installation charges on new landline connections
- Xiaomi Mi 5 gets a huge price cut; know the new rate here
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin poses as journalist during Carlos Brathwaite's press conference
- Rio Olympics fallout: Sports Ministry sets up inquiry to probe apathy in OP Jaisha's case