Rahul has experience as two-time MP: Congress to Pawar
New Delhi: The Congress on Friday refrained from directly reacting to NCP leader Sharad Pawar`s advice for Rahul Gandhi that he should gain administrative experience first before trying to become prime minister although the party did point out that its vice-president had gathered "experience" as a two-time MP.
"Pawar ji is a senior leader of the country. Congress will not like to comment on his televised interview. But Rahul has his own experience of becoming Lok Sabha MP for two terms," party spokesperson Randeep Singh Soorjewala told reporters.
There was some discomfiture in Congress over Pawar`s remarks. A leader speaking on condition of anonymity said, "as far as learning is concerned, you learn till you die".
Union Minister Salman Khurshid, speaking separately, said that said such doubts were not raised when the late Chandrasekhar became the Prime Minister without having occupied any public office before.
In a television interview, Pawar had said that Rahul should gain administrative experience by becoming a minister before he was made prime minister.
He had reportedly also noted that Rahul should first prove his mettle in administration first, saying he would have liked the scion of the Gandhi family to have joined the Manmohan Singh government with a view to gaining experience in governance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list