Rahul`s poster woman Kalawati gets Rs 30 lakhs from Sulabh
New Delhi: Kalawati Bandurkar, the widow of a
farmer of Vidharbha region brought to limelight by Congress
leader Rahul Gandhi’s visit to her shanty, on Monday received Rs
30 lakh from Sulabh International, a sanitation NGO.
The amount has been kept in fixed deposit in her name in
the Maragaon branch of the Central Bank of India, against
which she will get a monthly interest of Rs 25,000 to meet
education expenses of her four children and help them lead a
comfortable life, Sulabh founder Bindeshwar Pathak said.
Similarly, Rs 20 lakhs has been given to Sashikala,
another woman in Yavatmal district of Vidharbha region whose
name was also taken by Gandhi during a debate in the Lok Sabha
in 2008 to highlight the plight of farmers groaning under the
burden of loans, he said. She will get a monthly interest of
"Money cannot buy her happiness, money cannot bring her
husband back. But it can certainly ensure that Kalawati and
her children never ever have to go to bed empty-stomach,"
The Sulabh International adopted Kalawati and her family
after she threatened to commit suicide about two years ago,
unable to make both ends meet and with seven daughters and two
sons she was on the verge of starvation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez