Rail bribery case: HC notice to CBI
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday issued notice to CBI seeking its reply on the bail pleas of former railway minister Pawan Kumar Bansal`s nephew Vijay Singla and three others in the Rs 10 crore cash-for-post bribery case.
Justice Hima Kohli issued notice to the CBI for August 30 on the bail pleas of Singla, suspended Railway Board member Mahesh Kumar, MD of Bangalore-based G G Tronics India Pvt Ltd Narayan Rao Manjunath and alleged middleman Sandeep Goyal.
The counsel for all the four accused told the court that the chargesheet in the matter has already been filed within 60 days of arrest and there is nothing left to be probed and therefore, the accused deserve to be granted bail.
Seeking an early hearing, the counsel submitted that the only ground on which they have been denied bail by the trial court is the apprehension of tampering with the evidence.
"All the recoveries have been made and statement of all the witnesses have been recorded. So there is nothing left to be done.
"We request the court to give us an early hearing as the accused would be in jail for so long even after filing of the chargesheet," the lawyers for the accused argued.
Opposing their bail pleas, the CBI submitted that "the reason for denying them bail was not the just the apprehension of tampering with evidence but also the gravity of the offence."
Singla is alleged to have demanded Rs 10 crore from Kumar, who was recently elevated as Member (Staff) of Railway Board, for shifting him to his choice post of Member (Electrical).
All the four accused persons have been chargesheeted by CBI for the offence of criminal conspiracy under the IPC and relevant provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Besides them, six others -- M V Murali Krishan and C V Venugopal, Rahul Yadav, Samir Sandhir and Sushil Daga and Ajay Garg -- have been chargesheeted in the case. Only Garg has been granted bail by the Special CBI Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation