Railway employees demand CBI probe into Sainthia mishap
New Delhi: The Railway employees federation has demanded a CBI probe into the Sainthia train mishap that left 66 passengers dead, saying it apprehended sabotage.
"A CBI inquiry would only reveal the truth because it seems a 100 percent case of sabotage. Blaming loco pilots is not correct," Shiv Gopal Mishra, general secretary of All India Railwaymen`s Federation, said.
The union leader had also said that politicising the accident would only demoralise the morale of the railwaymen who were responsible for the safety of passengers.
Highly placed railway sources said that the Railway Board could agree for a CBI inquiry into the July 19 mishap.
"The railways have 14 lakh employees and the demand for a CBI inquiry is coming from their federation," the sources said.
Chairman of the Railway Board Vivek Sahay had earlier termed the behaviour of driver Madhan Chandra De and assistant driver Nirmal Mondal of the Uttar Banga Express that rammed the stationery Vananchal Express from behind as "unusual".
"The train was speeding at over 60 kmph towards the station though it was a regular halt and did not apply brakes before it rammed into the Vananchal Express," he had said.
The CBI at present is investigating the May 28 Jnaneswari Express disaster in West Midnapore district that left 148 passengers dead after Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee had alleged a `political conspiracy` behind It.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’