Railways flag off Sanskriti Express, announce Cultural Board
Kolkata: The Railways Sunday joined the rest
of the country in paying tributes to Gurudev Rabindranath
Tagore on his 150th birth anniversary by launching `Sanskriti
Express,` a train showcasing his life and works and announcing
a Culture Promotion Board.
"We are forming a new Culture Promotion Board in lines
with the Sports Promotion Board," Railway Minister Mamata
Banerjee announced before the flagging off of the `Sanskriti
Railway Board Chairman S S Khurana will be chairman of
the board, while Rabindrasangeet exponent Dwijen Mukhopadhyay
will be vice-chairman, she said, adding that the board would
comprise about 13 members drawn from the field of culture.
The formation of the board had been proposed in this
year`s Railway Budget and it would supervise the Railway`s
year-long programme to commemorate Tagore`s sesquicentennial,
A Tagore museum is being constructed by RITES opposite
the Howrah station and Rs 25 crore has been sanctioned for
this, she said, adding, the Prantik station near Santiniketan
would be developed into a model station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi