Railways flag off Sanskriti Express, announce Cultural Board
Kolkata: The Railways Sunday joined the rest
of the country in paying tributes to Gurudev Rabindranath
Tagore on his 150th birth anniversary by launching `Sanskriti
Express,` a train showcasing his life and works and announcing
a Culture Promotion Board.
"We are forming a new Culture Promotion Board in lines
with the Sports Promotion Board," Railway Minister Mamata
Banerjee announced before the flagging off of the `Sanskriti
Railway Board Chairman S S Khurana will be chairman of
the board, while Rabindrasangeet exponent Dwijen Mukhopadhyay
will be vice-chairman, she said, adding that the board would
comprise about 13 members drawn from the field of culture.
The formation of the board had been proposed in this
year`s Railway Budget and it would supervise the Railway`s
year-long programme to commemorate Tagore`s sesquicentennial,
A Tagore museum is being constructed by RITES opposite
the Howrah station and Rs 25 crore has been sanctioned for
this, she said, adding, the Prantik station near Santiniketan
would be developed into a model station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- This is how billionaire Richard Branson looks after cheating death in a violent high-speed bike crash
- West Bengal hospital fire: Three killed, 50 children injured; Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia announced
- Astronomers find a 'dark' Milky Way
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 654—Abhi visits Pragya's place and meets her family!
- Fire kills at least 16 in Moscow printing works