Railways flag off Sanskriti Express, announce Cultural Board
Kolkata: The Railways Sunday joined the rest
of the country in paying tributes to Gurudev Rabindranath
Tagore on his 150th birth anniversary by launching `Sanskriti
Express,` a train showcasing his life and works and announcing
a Culture Promotion Board.
"We are forming a new Culture Promotion Board in lines
with the Sports Promotion Board," Railway Minister Mamata
Banerjee announced before the flagging off of the `Sanskriti
Railway Board Chairman S S Khurana will be chairman of
the board, while Rabindrasangeet exponent Dwijen Mukhopadhyay
will be vice-chairman, she said, adding that the board would
comprise about 13 members drawn from the field of culture.
The formation of the board had been proposed in this
year`s Railway Budget and it would supervise the Railway`s
year-long programme to commemorate Tagore`s sesquicentennial,
A Tagore museum is being constructed by RITES opposite
the Howrah station and Rs 25 crore has been sanctioned for
this, she said, adding, the Prantik station near Santiniketan
would be developed into a model station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi