Railways offers job to athlete Arunima
New Delhi/Bareilly: Arunima Sinha, a
national level football and volleyball player who lost her leg
after being thrown out by robbers from a running train near
Bareilly on Monday, will be given a job by the Railways which
has promised all help for her rehabilitation.
"We are extending all help for her rehabilitation
which includes a suitable job in Railways," Railway Board
Chairman Vivek Sahai said.
"Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee has expressed
her concern about this unfortunate incident and ordered that
all financial assistance be extended to ensure that proper
medical attention is provided to her," Sahai said.
The announcement came after the young athlete said
a small compensation would be of no help to her and that she
needed a permanent government job.
"A few thousand rupees cannot last long. I have a full
life to live and what I need is not small compensation but a
permanent government job," 23-year-old Arunima said from her
hospital bed in Bareilly.
Arunima alias Sonu lost her leg after she was pushed
out of the Padmavat Express in Bareilly on Monday night by
three men trying to snatch her gold chain when she was
travelling to Delhi to appear for an examination. As she lay
on the tracks, another train ran over her left leg. She had
fractures on her right leg and also suffered head injuries.
She said her dreams have been shattered. "My problem
is that I won`t be able to realise my dreams. I am thinking of
how to fulfil my dreams," she said.
A case under section 307 (attempt to murder) and 393
(attempt to robbery) of the IPC has been registered against
unidentified persons by the Government Railway Police.
"A high-level inquiry by a four-member team has been
ordered to probe into the incident which will submit its
report within a week time," Deputy Divisional Railway Manager
(Moradabad) AK Singhal said after meeting Arunima at the
The committee would include commandant Railway
Protection Force, divisional safety officer, divisional
operating manager and engineer. Singhal gave her Rs 5,000 as
Sports Minister Ajay Maken announced an immediate
ex-gratia of Rs 25,000 and all possible help to Arunima.
Some NGOs have been approached to get her prosthetic
leg, the Railway Board Chairman said.
The compensation will be given to her by the Railway
Claims Tribunal. It will decide about the amount, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in