Railways to focus on Train Collision Avoidance system
New Delhi: Advocating the need for installation of the indigenised Train Collision Avoidance System (TCAS), the cash-strapped railways Saturday said it is a cost effective solution for preventing accident in the country.
TCAS, is an indigenised system developed by Research Design and Standards Organisation (RDSO), the railways` research arm, is operational between Hyderabad and Wadi in south India on a trial basis, Railway Board Member (Electrical), Kul Bhushan, said, in a seminar in New Delhi.
Hoping the indigenised system is likely to be a "game changer" in days to come, Bhusan said "the TCAS could become Indian Train Control System in future".
He said eight Indian companies have been shortlisted for the development of the system, out of which three are involved in the trial phase.
While the TCAS cost about Rs 1 lakh per km, the other available system - Train Protection Warning System (TPWS) - a European technology, cost about Rs 80 lakh per km.
"The system is a cost-effective solution for railways. There will be two benefits from the TCAS. First, if the loco pilot jumped the red signal then it will apply emergency brake and stop the train. Secondly if the train derails then trains coming from either side will be automatically stopped," Electrical Member said.
There is an urgent need for introduction of effective preventive measures to mitigate the risk of jumping signal and over speeding by loco pilots of trains leading to accidents.
"The technical optimisation in the TCAS will be complete in a few months from now and a decision will be taken soon to extend the system on other routes," he said.
There are technologies emerging on safety enhancement of train operation world over and the requirement of higher safety for Indian rail operation is also not less since railways is going for semi-high speed and high speed train.
Bhusan said Indian Railway has currently 65,000 km route and out of which about 60,000 km are in block signalling system and rest of the route are on automatic signalling system.
"While TPWS can be effective on the automatic signalling route, TCAS can be installed on block signalling route depending upon its successful trial," he said.
Railways, he said, is exploring various innovative measures to procure electricity at a reduced tariff.
"In order to contain the expenditure on fuel which has been estimated to be about Rs 35,176 crore during the current finance year, railways is taking various initiatives like progressive railway electrification on important and busy routes," Bhusan said.
He also affirmed railways stand to focus on harnessing green energy both solar and wind on a very large sacle including on available roof-top spaces of stations and buildings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced