Rajasthan, HP and Mizoram start implementing food law
New Delhi: The Centre on Friday said three more states -- Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh and Mizoram-- have started implementing the food law that aims to provide legal right to subsidised foodgrains to 67 per cent of population.
The Delhi government was the first to announce the implementation of the landmark law last month. Haryana and Uttarakhand followed the suit.
"The states have been provided one year for implementation of the historic Act. But Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, Mizoram and Delhi have already started its implementation," an official statement said.
A meeting of state food ministers has been convened on October 1 to address their concerns and to fast track implementation of the law in most states before the next General Elections.
This is the first meeting called by the Union food ministry after the President gave assent to the food law, which aims to provide highly subsidised foodgrains to the country`s two-third population as a right.
State food secretaries have also been called on September 30 to discuss various issues related to the law and set the agenda for the food ministers` conference next day, the statement said.
The meeting, to be inaugurated by Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar and presided by Food Minister KV Thomas, will discuss about formula to identify beneficiaries by states, issuing of fresh ration cards, doorstep delivery of grains and women empowerment under the law among others.
Senior officials of Prime Minister`s Office, Agriculture and Finance Ministries and Planning Commission will also be present in the conference, the statement added.
Under the food law, the government aims to provide uniform entitlement of five kilo per person per month through ration shops at fixed rate of Rs 3/2/1 per kg for rice, wheat and coarse grains, respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- BIZARRE! Panchayat slaps Rs 5 lakh fine on Haryana school after Eid celebration
- Twinkle Khanna slams Naseeruddin Shah online! - Know why
- Singapore-based company develops robot therapist to help relieve muscle strains
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh chairs high-level meeting in Kashmir
- India, Bangladesh border forces discuss issues in Tripura