Ramdev’s detention row: BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu fetched a helping hand?
Zee Media Bureau/Sushmita Dutta
New Delhi: Even though Yoga Guru Baba Ramdev was given permission to proceed with his visit in the United Kingdom on late Saturday evening, the secret has still not been unveiled as to who helped him after he was detained by the immigration authorities at London’s Heathrow airport.
A day after Ramdev claimed that the reason behind his detention could be the Indian government, who may have misguided the UK authorities, reports are claiming that senior BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu may have helped Baba Ramdev to get a clean-chit.
Sources said that at the time of Ramdev`s detention, senior BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu was in London.
Ramdev came to the Heathrow Airport yesterday again with British Indian MP Keith Vaz to meet the chief immigration officer for the second day after being stopped by the immigration officials on late Friday night.
The yoga guru was to address a gathering of NRIs at the 150th birth anniversary celebrations of Swami Vivekananda at Lampton Park Conference Center in South-West London.
He was to be joined by high-profile speakers, including BJP parliamentarian M Venkaiah Naidu and British minister Baroness Sandip Verma.
Earlier, the yoga guru told reporters he had "never done anything unethical or wrong". He said, "I have been travelling to the UK and the US for eight years and I have never been treated the way I have been treated this time."
"Yesterday I was stopped for eight hours but was not asked a single question. May be the Indian government tried to misguide the immigration department here. And this was the reason behind my detention," he added.
But in a sensational claim, Ramdev had said that British officials had received a red alert notice against him. He also pointed a finger towards the Indian government for his ‘illegal’ detention in London after emerging from a nearly 20-minute meeting with the immigration officials.
After being released by the immigration officials, Ramdev also said, "UK officials had seized two diaries from me. Both were on corruption done by the UPA government. But today the UK officials returned both the diaries to me. I would like to thank the UK government for releasing me."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read