Rapid urbanization of historical cities pose a challenge: Selja
New Delhi: Rapid urbanisation has thrown a challenge at historical cities which are "yearning" for a more inclusive and sustainable process of urban development, Culture Minister Kumari Selja said on Tuesday.
Addressing the 5th ASEM meet in Indonesia`s Yogakarta city, Selja said approximately 30 per cent of India`s one billion population lives in urban areas and the cities of India are growing at an "unprecedented" scale and speed.
"Urbanisation is taking place at an unparalleled speed, throwing a challenge at the traditional historic cities. Historical cities are yearning for a more inclusive and sustainable process of urban development," Selja said.
The draft National Conservation Policy envisages strengthening the role of crafts people whose knowledge of building materials and traditional systems in conservation works is indispensable.
She noted new legislations of the Ministry of Culture AMASR Act 2010 [Ancient Monuments and Archaeological and Remains and Sites (Amendment and Validation) Act] provides for Heritage Byelaws to be prepared for every single monument of national importance.
Kumari Selja said India has been instrumental in supporting the preparation of the UNESCO/UN-HABITAT Toolkit on `Historic Districts for All - India: A Social and Human Approach for Sustainable Revitalisation`, comprising a manual for city professionals.
The minister said the Ministry of Urban Development government of India and UNESCO have developed a partnership "Moving towards Heritage-based urban development" to help safeguard and promote sustainable use of India`s unique and diverse urban heritage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- From Olympic glory to jail: Oscar Pistorius' bid to challenge six-year jail term fails
- Piers Morgan TWEETS AGAIN: UK journalist takes credit for PM Modi setting up task force for next three Olympics
- MS Dhoni says it will be an interesting series against `extraordinary` West Indies
- Obama creates world's largest marine reserve in Hawaii
- How malaria supports spread of infectious cancer in Africa