Re-dedicate ourselves to national unity, communal harmony: Prez
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday urged citizens of the country to rededicate themselves to promoting national unity and communal harmony.
In his message on the occasion of the martyrdom day of Guru Teg Bahadur, Mukherjee said, "Guru Teg Bahadur`s Martyrdom Day is an occasion for every citizen of India to remember the Guru`s supreme sacrifice and strive to be worthy of his great legacy."
"On this day, let us re-dedicate ourselves to national unity, communal harmony and the all-round progress of our motherland. Let hatred and violence find no place in our minds. May the life and teachings of Guru Teg Bahadur and the humanism that he stood for guide us on our path at all times," he added.
Guru Tegh Bahadur was the ninth guru of the Sikhs. Born on April 1,1621. He was appointed as the guru of Sikhs on March 20 1665, following in the footsteps of his grand-nephew, Guru Har Krishan.
Guru Tegh Bahadur was executed on the orders of Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb in Delhi in 1675.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror