Re-dedicate ourselves to national unity, communal harmony: Prez
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday urged citizens of the country to rededicate themselves to promoting national unity and communal harmony.
In his message on the occasion of the martyrdom day of Guru Teg Bahadur, Mukherjee said, "Guru Teg Bahadur`s Martyrdom Day is an occasion for every citizen of India to remember the Guru`s supreme sacrifice and strive to be worthy of his great legacy."
"On this day, let us re-dedicate ourselves to national unity, communal harmony and the all-round progress of our motherland. Let hatred and violence find no place in our minds. May the life and teachings of Guru Teg Bahadur and the humanism that he stood for guide us on our path at all times," he added.
Guru Tegh Bahadur was the ninth guru of the Sikhs. Born on April 1,1621. He was appointed as the guru of Sikhs on March 20 1665, following in the footsteps of his grand-nephew, Guru Har Krishan.
Guru Tegh Bahadur was executed on the orders of Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb in Delhi in 1675.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’