Re-dedicate ourselves to national unity, communal harmony: Prez
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday urged citizens of the country to rededicate themselves to promoting national unity and communal harmony.
In his message on the occasion of the martyrdom day of Guru Teg Bahadur, Mukherjee said, "Guru Teg Bahadur`s Martyrdom Day is an occasion for every citizen of India to remember the Guru`s supreme sacrifice and strive to be worthy of his great legacy."
"On this day, let us re-dedicate ourselves to national unity, communal harmony and the all-round progress of our motherland. Let hatred and violence find no place in our minds. May the life and teachings of Guru Teg Bahadur and the humanism that he stood for guide us on our path at all times," he added.
Guru Tegh Bahadur was the ninth guru of the Sikhs. Born on April 1,1621. He was appointed as the guru of Sikhs on March 20 1665, following in the footsteps of his grand-nephew, Guru Har Krishan.
Guru Tegh Bahadur was executed on the orders of Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb in Delhi in 1675.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what