Re-dedicate ourselves to national unity, communal harmony: Prez
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday urged citizens of the country to rededicate themselves to promoting national unity and communal harmony.
In his message on the occasion of the martyrdom day of Guru Teg Bahadur, Mukherjee said, "Guru Teg Bahadur`s Martyrdom Day is an occasion for every citizen of India to remember the Guru`s supreme sacrifice and strive to be worthy of his great legacy."
"On this day, let us re-dedicate ourselves to national unity, communal harmony and the all-round progress of our motherland. Let hatred and violence find no place in our minds. May the life and teachings of Guru Teg Bahadur and the humanism that he stood for guide us on our path at all times," he added.
Guru Tegh Bahadur was the ninth guru of the Sikhs. Born on April 1,1621. He was appointed as the guru of Sikhs on March 20 1665, following in the footsteps of his grand-nephew, Guru Har Krishan.
Guru Tegh Bahadur was executed on the orders of Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb in Delhi in 1675.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Audience don't judge stars with box office numbers: John Abraham
- 'Madaari' is outstanding, says Deepika Padukone
- Three Taliban commanders arrested in Afghanistan's Samangan province
- Kamal Haasan still under medical care in hospital
- Kashmir unrest: Policeman injured in Burhan Wani protest dies, death toll rises to 46