Re-dedicate ourselves to national unity, communal harmony: Prez
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday urged citizens of the country to rededicate themselves to promoting national unity and communal harmony.
In his message on the occasion of the martyrdom day of Guru Teg Bahadur, Mukherjee said, "Guru Teg Bahadur`s Martyrdom Day is an occasion for every citizen of India to remember the Guru`s supreme sacrifice and strive to be worthy of his great legacy."
"On this day, let us re-dedicate ourselves to national unity, communal harmony and the all-round progress of our motherland. Let hatred and violence find no place in our minds. May the life and teachings of Guru Teg Bahadur and the humanism that he stood for guide us on our path at all times," he added.
Guru Tegh Bahadur was the ninth guru of the Sikhs. Born on April 1,1621. He was appointed as the guru of Sikhs on March 20 1665, following in the footsteps of his grand-nephew, Guru Har Krishan.
Guru Tegh Bahadur was executed on the orders of Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb in Delhi in 1675.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional