Ready to be questioned by CBI: Buta Singh
New Delhi: Amidst indications that the CBI may question him in connection with his son’s alleged involvement in a bribery scam, an unfazed Buta Singh on Saturday said that he is ready to be questioned by the investigating agency.
Earlier, addressing a press conference in New Delhi, Buta, who is the Chairman of National Commission for Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe and a former Union minister, said, “I am ready to be questioned by the CBI if proper procedure is followed.”
He said he had “informed the police of this political conspiracy against me but no action was taken.” Elaborating on the issue he said that when it came to his notice that some people were approaching his children he wrote to the Police Commissioner but instead of acting on the complaint he acted against me.
"The Commission will go to higher courts with the complaint that the commission`s functioning is being intervened.... The CBI has acted on the complaint of an accused but not the commission," Buta Singh added. He also said that he would meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to apprise him of the "facts" of the case.
He expressed ignorance about what transpired between his son and other accused.
On the alleged confession by his son stating that Buta was aware of the Rs 1 crore bribe, the former minister said that “it is possible that my son has confessed under duress”. He also refused to step down from his post saying, “Why should I resign when I hold a constitutional post.”
Earlier in the day, reports said that CBI was planning to question Buta Singh following the reported confession of his son Sarabjot Singh in the bribery case.
Sources said that Sarabjot Singh had told the CBI after his arrest, that he had informed his father about `settling`` the complaint against Nashik civic works contractor Ram Rao Patil, that had been lodged with the National Commission for Scheduled castes.
The CBI has said that they need constitutional sanction to question Buta Singh, and once that is given, they plan to invoke Section 7 and 9 of the Prevention against Corruption Act (PCI) against the former minister.
CBI forms 5 teams
In order to probe the hawala angle in the bribery scam, the CBI today formed five teams to identify the hawala agent involved in the scam.
The teams will go to Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Nasik and Bangalore to conduct their investigations.
The investigating agency is expected to inquire if Buta knew about his son fixing the deal. The CBI is reported to have details of the phone calls made from the former minister’s landline phone.
According to reports, the investigators had been intercepting Sarabjot’s telephone conversations with several alleged Hawala operators for the past 12 days. The tracking began following Patil’s complaint to the Anti-Corruption Bureau of the CBI that Sarabjot had demanded a bribe to close a case against him.
Sarabjot was detained on Thursday and subsequently placed under arrest on Friday by the CBI for allegedly demanding a bribe of Rs 1 crore from Patil, to close a case against him in the Commission. He is alleged to have told the contractor that he will "finish off" the case as his father was the chairperson of the Commission.
Sarabjot was later in the day produced before a court and sent to CBI custody till August 5 along with three other persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?