Ready with Cabinet note on Companies Bill: Moily
New Delhi: Expressing hope that the Companies Bill, 2009, will be passed by Parliament in 2011 itself, Corporate Affairs Minister Veerappa Moily Tuesday said his ministry was ready with the Cabinet note for the legislation.
"Companies Bill will be passed, if not in this (monsoon) session, (then) definitely in the Winter Session," Moily told reporters on the sidelines of a Ficci meet here.
The new Bill will replace a half-a-century old Act.
"We are ready with the Cabinet note. If the government asks us, we will give it," he added.
The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Finance had given its observations on the Bill in August, 2010.
The new Companies Bill, which was tabled in the backdrop of the Rs 14,000 crore Satyam fraud, promises greater shareholder democracy and stricter corporate governance norms.
For the first time, the Bill has introduced ideas like Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), class action suits and a fixed term for independent directors.
Among other things, it also proposes to tighten the laws for raising money from the public.
It also seeks to prohibit any insider trading by company directors or key managerial personnel by treating such activities as a criminal offence.
Further, it has proposed that companies should earmark 2 per cent of the average profit of the preceding three years for CSR activities and make a disclosure to shareholders about the policy adopted in the process.
The Companies Bill (2008), which lapsed with the dissolution of the 14th Lok Sabha, was re-introduced in August, 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price