Release Sarabjit Singh: India tells Pakistan
New Delhi: Appealing for Sarabjit Singh`s release, India Monday asked Pakistan to take a "sympathetic and humanitarian" view on the Indian death row prisoner who is battling for life after being beaten in jail in Lahore.
The possibility of transferring Sarabjit Singh to India for treatment could be considered in order to provide him the "best medical treatment available here", the ministry of external affairs said.
"In view of the recent tragic events and present circumstances, we once again appeal to the government of Pakistan to take a sympathetic and humanitarian view of this case, and release Sarabjit Singh," it said in a statement.
According to the statement, officials of the Indian High Commission are in touch with medical authorities at Jinnah Hospital Lahore "and we would like to consider the option of transferring Sarabjit Singh to India so that he can benefit from the best medical treatment available here".
Based on the most recent medical bulletin put out by doctors treating Sarabjit Singh "it is clear that his condition remains critical. We share the anguish and concern of his family members, and our prayers will remain with them", the statement said.
Sarabjit Singh was admitted to a Lahore hospital after a vicious attack on him at the Kot Lakhpat jail April 26. He is in coma. His family has arrived in Pakistan on a special visa issued by the Pakistan government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick