Reservation for Muslims unacceptable: VHP
Raipur: The Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) on Sunday termed union Law Minister Salman Khurshid`s remarks on reservations for backward Muslims "unacceptable" and threatened a nation-wide campaign against the idea.
"Any reservation for Muslims as it has been proposed recently in Uttar Pradesh`s poll campaign is unacceptable for Hindus. Giving reservations based on religion is also unconstitutional," VHP leader Praveen Togadia told reporters.
"Some people want to divide nation in name of Muslim reservations. This is all happening for the sake of vote bank politics, we will launch a nationwide campaign against such a move," he said.
Khurshid has sparked controversy recently in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh and also angered the Election Commission while proposing nine percent quota to minorities, including backward Muslims, within 27 percent reservation for Other Backward Classes (OBCs) if the Congress is voted to power in Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof