Reservation for Muslims unacceptable: VHP
Raipur: The Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) on Sunday termed union Law Minister Salman Khurshid`s remarks on reservations for backward Muslims "unacceptable" and threatened a nation-wide campaign against the idea.
"Any reservation for Muslims as it has been proposed recently in Uttar Pradesh`s poll campaign is unacceptable for Hindus. Giving reservations based on religion is also unconstitutional," VHP leader Praveen Togadia told reporters.
"Some people want to divide nation in name of Muslim reservations. This is all happening for the sake of vote bank politics, we will launch a nationwide campaign against such a move," he said.
Khurshid has sparked controversy recently in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh and also angered the Election Commission while proposing nine percent quota to minorities, including backward Muslims, within 27 percent reservation for Other Backward Classes (OBCs) if the Congress is voted to power in Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what