Retired Indian diplomats condemn US action against Indian envoy
New Delhi: The Association of Indian Diplomats, comprising retired Indian ambassadors, on Friday condemned the handcuffing and strip-search of India`s Deputy Consul General in New York Devyani Khobragade and urged the government to insist on withdrawal of all charges against her and an official apology by the US.
In a statement, the association also said the government should insist on compensation by the US for the "mental agony and trauma" caused by the "illegal action" of the US authorities.
Noting there was a "clear failure" on the part of the US authorities to respect international diplomatic commitments and obligations, the association also urged the government to raise the matter at appropriate international fora to ensure such treatment is not meted out to "any similar person in any country in future".
It also urged the government for expeditious action in the matter on the basis of strict reciprocity.
The association said the manner in which Khobragade was treated was "condemnable" and "such actions impact directly on the effective and official functioning of Indian diplomats".
Khobragade was handcuffed and strip-searched after her arrest on charges of visa fraud and underpaying her nanny.
The statement was signed among others by association president Leela Ponappa, a former deputy National Security Adviser and vice president Nalin Surie, who retired as India`s high commissioner to Britain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- Grand Alliance set to win Bihar election: Survey
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?