Rohtang Pass to reopen for tourists from Wednesday
Manali: The majestic Rohtang Pass, which is still wrapped in a thick blanket of snow near this picturesque tourist resort of Himachal Pradesh, will be reopened for the tourists from Wednesday, an official said.
"The tourists bound for Rohtang Pass from Manali will be allowed to travel Wednesday onwards," district tourism officer Vinay Dhiman said here on Monday.
At present, the tourists are not allowed to travel beyond Marhi, some 35 km from here, as road maintenance after snow-clearing operation is on.
Rohtang Pass, the gateway to adventure tourism destinations of Lahaul Valley, was cleared of winter snows April 25 but only the locals and government functionaries were allowed to cross the pass.
However, the ban on travelling in a vehicle that does not bear Himachal Pradesh registration number will remain in force.
Dhiman said the tourists would have to hire a local taxi from Kothi, 15 km from Manali, if they want to travel upto Rohtang.
"The local drivers are familiar with the local topography and weather conditions. This helps checking roads blockades and accidents," he added.
He said three police check posts would be set up at Kothi, Marhi and Rohtang to regulate the tourist traffic.
Located 52 km from here, the Rohtang Pass connects Manali with Leh in Jammu and Kashmir. It also plays an important role in the movement of the armed forces to the forward areas in Ladakh.
The weather at the Rohtang Pass is harsh. A sudden drop in the temperature, even in summer, can trigger winter-like conditions.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!