Rs 24.6 lakh compensation for parents of road mishap victim
New Delhi:The parents of a 38-year-old woman, who was killed in a road mishap, have been awarded Rs 24.60 lakhs as compensation by a motor accident claims tribunal here.
Presiding Officer Arun Bhardwaj ordered HDFC Egro General Insurance Co Ltd, with which the offending vehicle was insured, to pay the sum.
"Total compensation payable to the petitioners would be Rs. 24,60,000...Insurance company has not proved any defence. Therefore, compensation is to be paid by insurance company within 30 days," the tribunal said.
The tribunal awarded the compensation on a petition filed by the parents of the late Anita Pahuja, a media manager by profession.
The woman`s parents told the court that on September 20, 2011, a rashly driven car hit their daughter`s scooty near the Delhi Jal Board Office, Palam Village.
They said that she was rushed to Deen Dayal Upadhyay hospital, where she was declared `brought dead` by the doctors.
"On the basis of statement of the witness and on the basis of the fact that the police after investigation in the matter has filed charge sheet against the driver of the car, it is held that the offending vehicle was being driven rashly and negligently by the driver and had inflicted fatal injuries to the deceased Anita Pahuja," the tribunal said.
The driver and the owner of the car had argued before the tribunal that the petitioners were not entitled to any compensation as their vehicle did not cause the accident.
The tribunal, however, had rejected their argument.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them