Rs 24.6 lakh compensation for parents of road mishap victim
New Delhi:The parents of a 38-year-old woman, who was killed in a road mishap, have been awarded Rs 24.60 lakhs as compensation by a motor accident claims tribunal here.
Presiding Officer Arun Bhardwaj ordered HDFC Egro General Insurance Co Ltd, with which the offending vehicle was insured, to pay the sum.
"Total compensation payable to the petitioners would be Rs. 24,60,000...Insurance company has not proved any defence. Therefore, compensation is to be paid by insurance company within 30 days," the tribunal said.
The tribunal awarded the compensation on a petition filed by the parents of the late Anita Pahuja, a media manager by profession.
The woman`s parents told the court that on September 20, 2011, a rashly driven car hit their daughter`s scooty near the Delhi Jal Board Office, Palam Village.
They said that she was rushed to Deen Dayal Upadhyay hospital, where she was declared `brought dead` by the doctors.
"On the basis of statement of the witness and on the basis of the fact that the police after investigation in the matter has filed charge sheet against the driver of the car, it is held that the offending vehicle was being driven rashly and negligently by the driver and had inflicted fatal injuries to the deceased Anita Pahuja," the tribunal said.
The driver and the owner of the car had argued before the tribunal that the petitioners were not entitled to any compensation as their vehicle did not cause the accident.
The tribunal, however, had rejected their argument.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!