Rs 24.6 lakh compensation for parents of road mishap victim
New Delhi:The parents of a 38-year-old woman, who was killed in a road mishap, have been awarded Rs 24.60 lakhs as compensation by a motor accident claims tribunal here.
Presiding Officer Arun Bhardwaj ordered HDFC Egro General Insurance Co Ltd, with which the offending vehicle was insured, to pay the sum.
"Total compensation payable to the petitioners would be Rs. 24,60,000...Insurance company has not proved any defence. Therefore, compensation is to be paid by insurance company within 30 days," the tribunal said.
The tribunal awarded the compensation on a petition filed by the parents of the late Anita Pahuja, a media manager by profession.
The woman`s parents told the court that on September 20, 2011, a rashly driven car hit their daughter`s scooty near the Delhi Jal Board Office, Palam Village.
They said that she was rushed to Deen Dayal Upadhyay hospital, where she was declared `brought dead` by the doctors.
"On the basis of statement of the witness and on the basis of the fact that the police after investigation in the matter has filed charge sheet against the driver of the car, it is held that the offending vehicle was being driven rashly and negligently by the driver and had inflicted fatal injuries to the deceased Anita Pahuja," the tribunal said.
The driver and the owner of the car had argued before the tribunal that the petitioners were not entitled to any compensation as their vehicle did not cause the accident.
The tribunal, however, had rejected their argument.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray