Rs 50L each to violence-hit Assam, U`khand landslide victims
New Delhi: BJP on Tuesday announced it will donate Rs 50 lakh each to those affected by ethnic violence in Assam and the people displaced by landslides in Uttarakhand and has asked its MPs from both Houses to contribute Rs 50,000 from their salary for the purpose.
The issue came up for discussion in the BJP Parliamentary Party meeting held here today. The contribution of Rs 50,000 by each MP will help the BJP collect Rs 80 Lakh while the party will give another Rs 20 Lakh from its fund.
"Rs 50 Lakh will be donated by BJP to help those affected by the ethnic violence in Kokrajhar, Assam while another Rs 50 Lakh will be given away to help people who have been displaced by the landslides in Uttarkand," BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain told reporters.
Bhagat Singh Koshiyari raised the issue of the difficulties being faced by those affected by the recent landslides in the Uttarkashi region.
Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj praised the party`s performance in Parliament in highlighting the problems related to the ethnic violence in Assam and also raised the issue of the recent violence in Mumbai.
"Several anti-national statements were made at the protest rally in Mumbai and an atmosphere of terror was created there. Anant Geete of Shiv Sena raised this issue in Lok Sabha and we want a clarification from the government on the issue," Hussain said.
He alleged that ministers of Maharashtra government had attended the rally and wondered how there was an intelligence failure about the number of people attending the rally and the probability of their indulging in violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars