RS nominations of senior leaders: Cong dismisses panic factor
New Delhi: Congress Wednesday dismissed suggestions that nomination of leaders like Digvijay Singh and Madhusudan Mistry for the Rajya Sabha indicate any panic in the party about defeat in Lok Sabha polls.
"I do not think so. It is a matter decided by the state units with permission of the Congress President and Congress Vice President," party spokesman Randeep Surjewala told reporters.
"It is a political decision taken by the party. I would not like to say anything further," he said.
He was asked about the growing impression that senior leaders taking the Rajya Sabha route to come to Parliament reflected the panic in the party to face Lok Sabha polls, which are round the corner.
The Congress response came a day after AICC Secretary Sajjan Singh Verma questioned the high command`s decision to nominate Digvijay Singh from Madhya Pradesh.
"As per my understanding, the party high command`s decision to nominate Digvijay for the Rajya Sabha seat from Madhya Pradesh is improper. He (Digvijay) has the capacity to win Lok Sabha polls from Indore, Sagar and Vidisha seats," Verma, who is also a Lok Sabha member, had said.
"When 86-year-old BJP leader L K Advani wants to contest Lok Sabha polls, then he (Digvijay) should also have adopted a similar approach," Verma had said noting the AICC should have nominated youth leaders like state party chief Arun Yadav and Mahila Congress President Shobha Ojha to the Upper House from Madhya Pradesh.
The Congress leader also strongly objected to the nomination of senior Congress leaders like Motilal Vora, Murli Deora and Mistry to the Rajya Sabha.
"I failed to understand the logic behind sending aged people to the Rajya Sabha. What benefit does the party get out of it," Verma had asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price