RS witnesses clash as Cong MP wants ban on Sanatan Sanstha
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha on Wednesday witnessed clashes between members belonging to ruling and Opposition parties after a Congress member said BJP was supporting an institution allegedly propagating a "hidden agenda of communal hatred" in the name of spirituality.
Raising the issue in Zero Hour, Shantaram Naik (Congress) demanded that Sanatan Sanstha in Goa be banned referring to its alleged link with Margao blast on the eve of Diwali in Goa.
As BJP members led by Rajiv Pratap Rudy protested, Naik
asked, "Is BJP an unparliamentarily word?"
Deputy Chairman K Rahman Khan tried to pacify the
agitating BJP members saying he would look into their
Naik demanded that the Centre should invoke provisions
under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act against the
Sanstha and ban it.
"It is most unfortunate that the main Opposition party in
Goa, namely, BJP although has formally condemned the bomb
blast, they have come out in open support of this institution
as if it was one of their frontal organizations," Naik said.
He said the police found evidence to link the blast at
Margao with Sanatan Sanstha.
Naik alleged that "the institution has misguided thousands
of innocent Hindu ladies in the name of spirituality and
families of many households are in a shambles."
He said the institution has a website and a newspaper that publishes materials "which no secular minded Indian can digest" adding that several intellectuals and forums of common citizens have come out to demand a ban on the institution.
The Congress leader demanded that based on this material, the police should file a chargesheet against the organisation.
He also sought an investigation by Enforcement Directorate and other revenue authorities into the "huge wealth amassed" by the institution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145