RSS, BJP not behind my fast: Anna to Govt
New Delhi: Hours after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh signalled the government`s willingness to accommodate Team Anna`s concerns on Lokpal Bill, social activist Anna Hazare on Saturday slammed the UPA (United Progressive Alliance) government for linking his fast with political parties.
“We are being associated with BJP, RSS, and now the US. Tomorrow, they (government’s leaders) will say Pakistan is behind us,” said Hazare, whose indefinite fast pressing for a stronger Lokpal Bill to check corruption entered the fifth day today.
Hazare told his supporters that the fight will not end with Lokpal but will extend to reforms in the election system. After Lokpal, we will also have to fight for farmers` rights, bring a law that ensures permission of Gram Sabhas before land acquisition, he added.
Talking to media personnel at Ramlila Maidan, Team Anna announced that it won’t give up on its demand for a strong Lokpal Bill.
Commenting on an advertisement issued in today’s newspapers by a Parliamentary committee seeking public opinion and suggestions on the government’s version of Lokpal Bill within 15 days, Team Anna said the government is using diversionary tactics.
Former IPS officer and social activist Kiran Bedi said the government should have put out both the bills, Lokpal as well as Jan Lokpal, in the advertisement.
Accusing the government for delaying Lokpal Bill for decades, Team Anna added that the country can’t afford to wait longer for a strong bill against graft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked