Ruckus in Delhi Assembly over Liyaqat`s arrest
New Delhi: Delhi Assembly on Monday witnessed uproarious scenes over arrest of Liyaqat Ali Shah, who Delhi Police claimed was a Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist.
While BJP leader VK Malhotra welcomed arrest of Shah, RJD MLA from Okhla Asif Mohammed Khan slammed it and questioned Delhi Police`s role on the issue.
Almost all the BJP legislators protested Khan`s comment against police and warned him not to "play politics" on the issue.
"I condemn all those who seem to support Liyaqat. It is a question of Delhi`s security. Nobody should play politics on the issue," he said.
Immediately after Malhotra`s comment, Khan accused BJP of having soft corner for certain elements who are allegedly trying to create communal tension prompting strong reaction from the opposition members.
Khan demanded a proper inquiry into the whole controversy.
Amid the ruckus, Speaker Yoganad Shastri adjourned the House for 25 minutes.
Earlier, the Speaker reprimanded senior Congress MLA Mukesh Sharma for raising the issue of hijacking of IC-814 in 1999 and release of terrorist to secure return of the passengers.
Sharma was taking a pot shot at the BJP while speaking on contribution of martyrs of freedom struggle including Saheed Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev.
The speaker, taking a serious view of Sharma`s comment, interrupted during his speech and did not allow him to continue while cautioning other members not to "trivialise" such an important issue.
During a discussion under `Special Mention`, senior Congress MLA Naseeb Singh criticised police for "poor" law and order situation in the city and demanded a "thorough" probe into functioning of police stations across the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS