Russia backs India`s bid for permanent UNSC seat
Moscow: Russia on Friday backed India`s bid for
a permanent seat in an expanded UN Security Council as well as
its aspirations to join the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation
(SCO), a regional security grouping.
Moscow, one of the five veto-wielding members of the UNSC
and one of the founders of the SCO, expressed it support in a
joint declaration issued after the 12th annual India-Russian
Summit between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and President
Dmitry Medvedev in the Kremlin.
In their joint statement, both Medvedev and Singh
underscored that the UNSC reform should be carried out in way
to make it "more representative and effective" in countering
the existing and new challenges.
In this context, Moscow is for giving New Delhi a
permanent seat in an expanded UNSC, the Kremlin said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'