Sachin is already a `Bharat Ratna`, says Thackeray
Mumbai: After brickbats, it is now bouquets for cricket maestro Sachin Tendulkar from Shiv Sena.
Sachin`s double-hundred against South Africa in Gwalior has not only silenced his critics, but clean bowled the Shiv Sena, which had taken on the iconic batsman over his "Mumbai for all" remark.
"Hundred crore people of this country have already crowned Sachin as Bharat Ratna," Sena chief Bal Thackeray said in an editorial in party mouthpiece `Saamana`.
"Shivaji Maharaj used to vanquish Moghuls on battlefield. Similarly, Sachin is a warrior on cricket battlefield. Such warriors are born only in Maharashtra," Thackeray said.
"Shivaji wielded the sword. Similarly, Sachin wields the bat," the editorial said.
"Sachin does not need anyone`s recommendation to be awarded Bharat Ratna. He is already one," it said.
The Shiv Sena leadership had last year questioned Tendulkar`s loyalty to Maharashtra following his Mumbai for all remark.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...