Sachin is already a `Bharat Ratna`, says Thackeray
Mumbai: After brickbats, it is now bouquets for cricket maestro Sachin Tendulkar from Shiv Sena.
Sachin`s double-hundred against South Africa in Gwalior has not only silenced his critics, but clean bowled the Shiv Sena, which had taken on the iconic batsman over his "Mumbai for all" remark.
"Hundred crore people of this country have already crowned Sachin as Bharat Ratna," Sena chief Bal Thackeray said in an editorial in party mouthpiece `Saamana`.
"Shivaji Maharaj used to vanquish Moghuls on battlefield. Similarly, Sachin is a warrior on cricket battlefield. Such warriors are born only in Maharashtra," Thackeray said.
"Shivaji wielded the sword. Similarly, Sachin wields the bat," the editorial said.
"Sachin does not need anyone`s recommendation to be awarded Bharat Ratna. He is already one," it said.
The Shiv Sena leadership had last year questioned Tendulkar`s loyalty to Maharashtra following his Mumbai for all remark.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble