Sachin is already a `Bharat Ratna`, says Thackeray
Mumbai: After brickbats, it is now bouquets for cricket maestro Sachin Tendulkar from Shiv Sena.
Sachin`s double-hundred against South Africa in Gwalior has not only silenced his critics, but clean bowled the Shiv Sena, which had taken on the iconic batsman over his "Mumbai for all" remark.
"Hundred crore people of this country have already crowned Sachin as Bharat Ratna," Sena chief Bal Thackeray said in an editorial in party mouthpiece `Saamana`.
"Shivaji Maharaj used to vanquish Moghuls on battlefield. Similarly, Sachin is a warrior on cricket battlefield. Such warriors are born only in Maharashtra," Thackeray said.
"Shivaji wielded the sword. Similarly, Sachin wields the bat," the editorial said.
"Sachin does not need anyone`s recommendation to be awarded Bharat Ratna. He is already one," it said.
The Shiv Sena leadership had last year questioned Tendulkar`s loyalty to Maharashtra following his Mumbai for all remark.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why