Sachin is already a `Bharat Ratna`, says Thackeray
Mumbai: After brickbats, it is now bouquets for cricket maestro Sachin Tendulkar from Shiv Sena.
Sachin`s double-hundred against South Africa in Gwalior has not only silenced his critics, but clean bowled the Shiv Sena, which had taken on the iconic batsman over his "Mumbai for all" remark.
"Hundred crore people of this country have already crowned Sachin as Bharat Ratna," Sena chief Bal Thackeray said in an editorial in party mouthpiece `Saamana`.
"Shivaji Maharaj used to vanquish Moghuls on battlefield. Similarly, Sachin is a warrior on cricket battlefield. Such warriors are born only in Maharashtra," Thackeray said.
"Shivaji wielded the sword. Similarly, Sachin wields the bat," the editorial said.
"Sachin does not need anyone`s recommendation to be awarded Bharat Ratna. He is already one," it said.
The Shiv Sena leadership had last year questioned Tendulkar`s loyalty to Maharashtra following his Mumbai for all remark.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?