Sack Beni: SP to President
Lucknow: The Samajwadi Party on Tuesday asked President Pranab Mukherjee to dismiss Union Steel Minister Beni Prasad Verma for his controversial remarks against party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav.
In a statement here, SP spokesman Rajendra Chaudhary said Verma had demeaned himself by levelling allegation against Mulayam, a leader of stature.
Allowing such a person to continue in the Cabinet was an insult to the democratic system and, therefore, the President should immediately dismiss him from the Cabinet, he said.
Instead of being apologetic, Verma continued to stuck to his allegation, the spokesman said.
Talking to reporters outside Parliament House yesterday, the minister said he stood by his remarks, made in Gonda last Saturday, that Mulayam allegedly had terrorist links.
Some SP workers staged a demonstration near Verma`s private residence in Gomti Nagar area in the city and chanted slogans.
Police stopped them 20 metres before the minister`s residence.
Later, the SP activists staged a sit-in and indulged in slogan-shouting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- Invoking Ambedkar's legacy, PM Modi says no rethink on quotas as Sena boycotts his events in Mumbai