Sack Tharoor, Pushkar`s move is admission of guilt, says BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Sunday made it clear that Union
Minister Shashi Tharoor has to be sacked, notwithstanding his
associate Sunanda Pushkar returning her sweat equity of Rs 70
crore to IPL Kochi team, and termed her move as an admission
of guilt as it was "stinking corruption".
BJP cited government documents to argue that Sunanda
Pushkar was not legally entitled to sweat equity in IPL Kochi
team and this was a case of "fraud on company law", committed
under the patronage of the Union Minister.
"We demand that the Prime Minister sack Shashi Tharoor
immediately. It is a not a case of sweat equity at all. Now it
is a case of stinking corruption.... The stain of corruption
is not washed by return of bribe money," BJP spokesperson Ravi
Shankar Prasad remarked.
Interestingly, BJP recalled the instance of 1993 when
Nalini, wife of P Chidambaram-who was then Commerce Minister-
bought one lakh shares of a Fairgrowth by paying less than the
"When it was discovered that the market value of these
shares is more, Chidambaram had to resign," Prasad said.
Tharoor`s statement in Lok Sabha on the IPL issue was
also brought up by the main opposition.
"The minister has said on the floor of the House that
sweat equity was received. What has the Prime Minister to say
on this? This clearly outlines that he (Tharoor) has misused
his authority," Prasad said.
The main opposition distributed copies relating to
Rendezvous Sports World in a bid to prove that Pushkar could
not get sweat equity as she was not a director or employee of
"As per Company Sweat Equity Allocation Rules for
unlisted companies, Pushkar could not get sweat equity as it
can be given only to a company employee or a director of the
company. Moreover, it can be given only after one year of
commencement of the company," Prasad explained.
The documents given by BJP show that Rendezvous Cricket
Management Private Limited was formed on August 28, 2009 and
its name was changed to Rendezvous Sports World Private
Limited on March 3, 2010. Prasad argued that, going by any of
these dates, this company was not even a year old and could
give sweat equity as per the rules.
"It is clear that friend of the minister is the parking
bay," Prasad alleged.
Arguing that Tharoor`s role "goes against the basic
concept of propriety", he said as per these rules, government
permission has to be sought if sweat equity is more than Rs 5
crore or 15 per cent of the total share. Further, a valuer has
to give a report that the person is worthy of getting the
48-year-old Pushkar, a business executive based in Dubai,
made the dramatic offer of quitting RSW and giving up her
share shortly after Tharoor had explained to Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh about his role in "mentoring" the Kochi
She offered to give up her sweat equity of nearly 19 per
cent in the Kochi franchise.
Though Tharoor has denied the charge that he intended to
get any financial gain for him or his friend, the opposition
is gunning for the removal of the 54-year-old first-time MP
from Thiruvananthapuram on the ground that he misused his
office to get pecuniary gains for his friend.
Senior BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi told reporters in
Kolkata, "The Centre should investigate the entire IPL issue
but before that, Tharoor should resign. If he does not resign,
he should be sacked."
The BJP leader said the IPL scam had demonstrated how
political leaders and businessmen were manipulating the bids
by cricket teams.
"This is a serious issue which involves ministers and
officials. At a time when the country was facing price rise,
Maoist problem and terror threat, they are busy converting IPL
into an agency for looting public money. Tharoor is a small
fry. There are many other players. A correct picture should be
presented before the people," Joshi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27