Sajjan Kumar involved in murder during 1984 riots: CBI
New Delhi: CBI today alleged before a Delhi
court that senior Congress leader Sajjan Kumar was involved in
the murder of people during 1984 anti-Sikh riots by giving
provocative speeches, a charge vehemently denied by him.
"Sajjan Kumar addressed a meeting after which the crowd
identified the houses of Sikh community, looted it and killed
the people, thereby creating mayhem all over the locality,"
CBI counsel D P Singh submitted before Additional Sessions
Judge Sunita Gupta.
Initiating arguments for framing of charges in a case
relating to the death of six persons, the counsel charged the
former outer Delhi MP with leading a group of rioting mob
riding on a motorcycle in the riots that followed the
assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on
October 31, 1984.
The CBI counsel, who referred to a place in a site plan
from where leader allegedly addressed the crowd during the
riots, was strongly opposed by Kumar`s counsel I U Khan and A
The defence counsel accused the CBI lawyer of misleading
the court by alleging that the probe agency did not have the
statement of any witness who saw Kumar addressing the mob
from the particular place at Sultanpuri here.
"Do you have statement of any witness to support your
contention? You cannot say anything before the court at your
convenience," they submitted before the court which intervened
to pacify the tempers from both sides.
During the brief arguments for 30 minutes, the CBI
counsel read out a statement of prosecution witness and
complainant Joginder Singh whose brother Surjeet Singh was
killed allegedly by the rioting mob after dragging him from
their house on the fateful day in the riots.
"We want to prosecute Kumar for the murder of Surjeet.
The trial relating to murder of Surjeet had never taken place.
The accused conspired to murder him," he submitted.
This argument of CBI counsel was opposed by defence
counsel who alleged Singh was again misleading the court.
The matter was adjourned for tomorrow after the CBI
counsel sought time to file a list of witnesses` and their
statements which would be referred to by him during the
Meanwhile, the court fixed for May 24 the formal framing
of charges against Kumar and others in the case involving
death of five persons in Delhi Cantonment during the riots.
Kumar`s counsel did not file any objection to CBI`s plea
made yesterday before the court seeking rectification of
charges with regard to a section of the IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly