Samjhauta blast: Aseemanand remanded to NIA custody
Chandigarh: A court in Panchkula in Haryana on Thursday remanded right-wing Hindu group Abhinav Bharat member Swami Aseemanand, allegedly involved in 2007 Samjhauta Express train blast case, to a day`s custody of National Investigation Agency (NIA).
The NIA brought Aseemanand, also accused in the 2007 Mecca Masjid blast in Hyderabad, from Hyderabad and produced him in the Panchkula court.
Samjhauta train blasts in Haryana`s Panipat district left 68 people dead in February 2007.
The NIA had recently sought the production warrant of Aseemanand from a court in Panchkula, near here, to question his role in the Samjhauta train blasts.
He is likely to be questioned about his association with other people arrested in the Samjhauta blast case and his whereabouts before the train blast took place.
Panchkula`s District and Sessions Judge PL Ahuja sent Assemanand to one-day remand as Additional Sessions Judge, Ritu Garg whose court has been designated to deal with the Samjhauta blast case, was on leave today.
Aseemanand was arrested by Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on November 19 for his alleged involvement in Mecca Masjid blast in Hyderabad that left nine people dead.
Aseemanand was earlier living under a fake identity in Haridwar and had also procured fake identity cards. A post-graduate in Botany, Aseemanand, whose real name is Jatin Chatterjee, is a resident of Hooghly in West Bengal and came to the tribal-dominated Dangs in south Gujarat in late 1990s.
His name had also come up during the probe in Malegaon blast of 2008 when ATS, Maharashtra, recovered the number of the Swami`s driver from Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, another Abhinav Bharat member and an accused arrested in Malegaon case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- South China Sea critical to US national security: White House