Samjhauta blast: Aseemanand remanded to NIA custody
Chandigarh: A court in Panchkula in Haryana on Thursday remanded right-wing Hindu group Abhinav Bharat member Swami Aseemanand, allegedly involved in 2007 Samjhauta Express train blast case, to a day`s custody of National Investigation Agency (NIA).
The NIA brought Aseemanand, also accused in the 2007 Mecca Masjid blast in Hyderabad, from Hyderabad and produced him in the Panchkula court.
Samjhauta train blasts in Haryana`s Panipat district left 68 people dead in February 2007.
The NIA had recently sought the production warrant of Aseemanand from a court in Panchkula, near here, to question his role in the Samjhauta train blasts.
He is likely to be questioned about his association with other people arrested in the Samjhauta blast case and his whereabouts before the train blast took place.
Panchkula`s District and Sessions Judge PL Ahuja sent Assemanand to one-day remand as Additional Sessions Judge, Ritu Garg whose court has been designated to deal with the Samjhauta blast case, was on leave today.
Aseemanand was arrested by Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on November 19 for his alleged involvement in Mecca Masjid blast in Hyderabad that left nine people dead.
Aseemanand was earlier living under a fake identity in Haridwar and had also procured fake identity cards. A post-graduate in Botany, Aseemanand, whose real name is Jatin Chatterjee, is a resident of Hooghly in West Bengal and came to the tribal-dominated Dangs in south Gujarat in late 1990s.
His name had also come up during the probe in Malegaon blast of 2008 when ATS, Maharashtra, recovered the number of the Swami`s driver from Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, another Abhinav Bharat member and an accused arrested in Malegaon case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’