Sardar Patel wore khadi, Narendra Modi poses with designer clothes: Digvijay Singh
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The spat between Congress and Bharatiya Janata Party over the legacy of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel got fierce on Thursday.
On microblogging website Twitter, Congress leader Digvijay Singh said Sardar Patel was humility personified and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was arrogance personified.
Singh commemorated the 134th birth anniversary of India’s ‘Iron Man’ Sardar Patel and death anniversary of former prime minister Indira Gandhi, popularly known as ‘Iron Lady’.
Underlining the differences between the personalities of Patel and Modi, Singh noted that India’s first home minister, “known for his simplicity and humility”, wore Khadi all his life. “Modi poses with Designer clothes and Branded Glasses,” Singh tweeted.
“Sardar-Humility personified ! Modi- Conceit and Arrogance personified Sardar - United India Modi- Divides NDA BJP and Hindus and Minorities (sic),” further tweeted Singh.
Taking a jibe at the BJP’s PM candidate, Singh said Sardar Patel organised farmers against the British and was the Father of Cooperative Movement in Gujarat. “Under Modi both not on his agenda,” said Singh.
The Congress accuses Modi of "misusing" Sardar Patel`s name for "political gains", but the opposition party says the Congress had no patent on the national leader.
On October 29, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Modi were locked in an ideological battle over Sardar Patel, with Narendra Modi wishing the "Iron Man" had been India`s first prime minister and Manmohan Singh underlining that Patel was a Congress leader and secular to the core.
Modi is building the world`s tallest statue at a cost of Rs 2,500 crore in honour of Sardar Patel.
The statue is proposed to be a 182 metre-high monument of Sardar Patel, directly facing the Narmada Dam near Bharuch in Gujarat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo