SC anguished over states` indifference to police reforms
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday expressed its anguish that not a single state in the country is keen on implementing the slew of police reforms directed by it in September 2006.
"Why some states, not a single state government is
willing to cooperate. What can we do?," a three-judge bench
of Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan, Justices P Sathasivam
and B S Chauhan said.
The bench made the remarks while dealing with a plea
made by counsel Prashant Bhushan for inititiating contempt
action against UP, Gujarat, J& K, Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan
and Madhya Pradesh for not showing even a modicum of interest
in implementing the directions passed by the apex court.
The apex court had among other things directed that
senior police officers like Director Generals of Police should
have a minimum tenure to ensure that they are free from
political intereference, transparency in postings etc.
However, till date none of the states had complied
with the directions though some of them have come out with
promises of enacting suitable legislations to implement the
orders. But some of the above states had not even bothered to
file proper compliance reports and hence contempt proceedings
should be intiated against them, Bhushan argued before the
But the bench felt that let alone the states mentioned
by him none of the others was cooperating in implemeting the
judgement. The bench then posted the matter for further
hearing to August 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?