SC asks Karnataka to think on releasing 20-25 TMC Cauvery water
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday said it can consider directing Karnataka to release 20-25 TMC water to Tamil Nadu from Cauvery river on the basis of a previous order passed by it in similar situation.
A bench of justices DK Jain and Madan B Lokur said the situation in the year 1995 and 2001 were similar and on that basis asked Karnataka to respond on releasing water between 20-25 TMC to Tamil Nadu.
During the hour-long hearing, both the states traded charges and refused to come to any agreement.
The arguments remained unconclusive and will continue tomorrow.
The court is hearing a batch of petitions and application filed by Karnataka and Tamil Nadu on the release of 9,000 cusecs of water daily from Cauvery for the latter.
Tamil Nadu`s counsel and senior advocate C S Vaidyanathan said there was an attempt by Karnataka to delay and defeat the purpose of Tamil Nadu and the crops in the state are going to wither and die due to shortage of water.
He said the state was facing a deficit of 39 TMC of water.
During the earlier hearing on November 26, the court had asked the chief ministers of the two states to meet and arrive at an amicable solution to the "sensitive" Cauvery water dispute.
However, the talks between Chief Ministers of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka failed to break the deadlock on the Cauvery water-sharing row.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi