SC asks Karnataka to think on releasing 20-25 TMC Cauvery water
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday said it can consider directing Karnataka to release 20-25 TMC water to Tamil Nadu from Cauvery river on the basis of a previous order passed by it in similar situation.
A bench of justices DK Jain and Madan B Lokur said the situation in the year 1995 and 2001 were similar and on that basis asked Karnataka to respond on releasing water between 20-25 TMC to Tamil Nadu.
During the hour-long hearing, both the states traded charges and refused to come to any agreement.
The arguments remained unconclusive and will continue tomorrow.
The court is hearing a batch of petitions and application filed by Karnataka and Tamil Nadu on the release of 9,000 cusecs of water daily from Cauvery for the latter.
Tamil Nadu`s counsel and senior advocate C S Vaidyanathan said there was an attempt by Karnataka to delay and defeat the purpose of Tamil Nadu and the crops in the state are going to wither and die due to shortage of water.
He said the state was facing a deficit of 39 TMC of water.
During the earlier hearing on November 26, the court had asked the chief ministers of the two states to meet and arrive at an amicable solution to the "sensitive" Cauvery water dispute.
However, the talks between Chief Ministers of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka failed to break the deadlock on the Cauvery water-sharing row.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents