SC decision on Kudankulam plant ‘unfortunate’: Achuthanandan
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI(M) veteran and Kerala Opposition Leader VS Achuthanandan on Monday termed as "unfortunate" the dismissal of anti-nuclear campaigners` plea against commissioning of Kudankulam nuclear plant.
Achuthanandan, who has often taken a sharply different approach on the nuclear issue from his party`s official line, said the Supreme Court`s nod for commissioning the plant had come at a time when serious doubts were being raised by experts about the safety of the Russian-made reactors installed at Kudankulam.
"Apprehensions are prevailing among the people of Kudankulam about the safety of the plant and the apex court`s nod to commission the facility against this backdrop is unfortunate," the former chief minister said in a statement here.
"There have been reports that parts of the machinery are defective and sub-standard. Some nuclear experts have openly contended that the reactors are unsafe. Against this backdrop, commissioning of the plant would only heighten the fear of the people in the area," Achuthanandan said.
Striking a sharply different note from his party`s line of not opposing nuclear plants as such, Achuthanandan had often argued against building nuclear energy facilities holding that they posed a grim danger to humanity.
Besides pledging support to the anti-nuclear campaign at Kudankulam in Tamil Nadu`s Tirunelveli district, he had last year set out to visit the spot but was stopped on the Kerala-Tamil Nadu border.
The party central leadership, however, took a strong stand against the octogenarian leader by censuring him on the issue.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- Why is Sidhu evasive about joining AAP?
- China says South Korea damaged 'mutual trust'
- Susan Rice urges `candour and openness` on Beijing visit
- Would love to star in a Bollywood film: Rick Hoffman
- All is not well between Kareena Kapoor Khan and Deepika Padukone? – Know why
- UNBELIEVABLE! This visually-impaired Pakistani singer's voice will give you goosebumps - WATCH