SC decision on Kudankulam plant ‘unfortunate’: Achuthanandan
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI(M) veteran and Kerala Opposition Leader VS Achuthanandan on Monday termed as "unfortunate" the dismissal of anti-nuclear campaigners` plea against commissioning of Kudankulam nuclear plant.
Achuthanandan, who has often taken a sharply different approach on the nuclear issue from his party`s official line, said the Supreme Court`s nod for commissioning the plant had come at a time when serious doubts were being raised by experts about the safety of the Russian-made reactors installed at Kudankulam.
"Apprehensions are prevailing among the people of Kudankulam about the safety of the plant and the apex court`s nod to commission the facility against this backdrop is unfortunate," the former chief minister said in a statement here.
"There have been reports that parts of the machinery are defective and sub-standard. Some nuclear experts have openly contended that the reactors are unsafe. Against this backdrop, commissioning of the plant would only heighten the fear of the people in the area," Achuthanandan said.
Striking a sharply different note from his party`s line of not opposing nuclear plants as such, Achuthanandan had often argued against building nuclear energy facilities holding that they posed a grim danger to humanity.
Besides pledging support to the anti-nuclear campaign at Kudankulam in Tamil Nadu`s Tirunelveli district, he had last year set out to visit the spot but was stopped on the Kerala-Tamil Nadu border.
The party central leadership, however, took a strong stand against the octogenarian leader by censuring him on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon