SC notice to Centre on kerosene adulteration
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday sought the Centre`s response on a plea for transferring the cash subsidy in the bank accounts of beneficiaries of kerosene oil instead of supplying it through public distribution outlets.
A bench of justices TS Thakur and Vikramajit Sen issued notice to the Centre on a PIL filed by BSP MP Seema Upadhyay alleging that adulteration of kerosene oil is rampant across the country which can be stopped only if it is not supplied through PDS.
"Adulteration of kerosene oil is not only causing huge loss to the nation in the form of subsidy but it also deprive the poor masses from the benefit of the said subsidy as they are denied the supply of kerosene oil," the petition said.
According to Upadhyay, availability of kerosene at subsidised rates is causing adulteration of diesel by powerful and rich mafias and over the years the illicit industry has spread across the country affecting the poor in every state.
"Oil companies fail to check adulteration at the final gas station outlets. They have mobile laboratories to monitor and check oil adulteration. Gas station owners pool in money to bribe the visiting laboratory team," she said.
The MP from Fatehpur Sikri constituency alleged that many local politicians are also involved in the racket.
She also alleged that "Samajwadi Party MLA Devender Agrawal is the most illustrious example".
The bench, which expressed reservation in entertaining the PIL as it has political overtones, finally admitted the plea and issued notice to the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Some parties trying to create anti-Centre sentiment, says Venkaiah Naidu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog