SC notice to Centre, states on women’s safety
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday agreed to hear a PIL filed by a former woman IAS officer seeking directions to the government to ensure safety of women and for conduct of fast-track court proceedings in all rape cases.
A bench headed by Chief Justice Altamas Kabir will hear tomorrow the PIL which also sought suspension of MPs and MLAs in case a charge sheet is filed against them for crime against women.
In her PIL, retired IAS officer Promilla Shanker has pleaded with the court to direct the government to set up fast-track courts in all states for expeditious trial of rape cases.
She also submitted that cases of rape and crime against women and children be investigated by lady police officials and trial be conducted by lady judges.
Meanwhile, another bench comprising justices P Sathasivam and Ranjan Gogoi issued notices to the Centre and all the states and sought their response on another PIL by advocate Mukesh Kumar seeking safety measures for women.
Kumar, in his PIL, demanded creation of women police stations in every town to investigate complaints of rape and sexual assault against women.
It also sought steps for implementation of UN convention on elimination of all forms of discrimination against women.
The court asked the Centre and the states to file their responses in four weeks.
The PILs come in the backdrop of the nation-wide outrage over December 16 brutal gangrape and assault of a 23-year-old woman in Delhi, who died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city