SC refuses to cancel BJP MP`s bail in murder case
New Delhi: Supreme Court on Monday refused to
cancel the bail of BJP member of Parliament Ramakant Yadav,
facing a murder charge and alleged attempt on the life of
Maulana Mohd Amir Rashadi President Rashtriya Ulema Council.
Abdul Rehman, said a to be a close follower of Rashadi,
was murdered at the alleged instance of the MP on August 12,
2009, at Phoolpur village in UP`s Azamgarh district in the
murder attempt reportedly aimed the Ulema leader who was
proceeding in a convoy of vehicles.
The BJP MP was arrested on August 24 and cases for
murder were filed against him and his associates. He was
granted conditional bail almost a year later on August 6,
2010, by the Allahabad High Court, following which Rashadi
appealed in the apex court.
The Ulema leader claimed the MP, being a powerful leader,
was constantly threatening him and his followers if he failed
to withdraw the case and hence sought cancellation of his
A bench of justices P Sathasivam and J Chelameshwar,
however, declined to interfere with bail saying the High Court
has made it clear that in case of breach of any of the
conditions, the trial court will have the liberty to send the
MP back to jail.
The state`s counsel also assured the court that trial in
the case would be completed expeditiously.
"We also direct the trial court to complete the trial
within a period of four months from the date of the receipt of
copy of this order without unnecessary adjournments," the
bench said while refusing to cancel the bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued