SC refuses to cancel BJP MP`s bail in murder case
New Delhi: Supreme Court on Monday refused to
cancel the bail of BJP member of Parliament Ramakant Yadav,
facing a murder charge and alleged attempt on the life of
Maulana Mohd Amir Rashadi President Rashtriya Ulema Council.
Abdul Rehman, said a to be a close follower of Rashadi,
was murdered at the alleged instance of the MP on August 12,
2009, at Phoolpur village in UP`s Azamgarh district in the
murder attempt reportedly aimed the Ulema leader who was
proceeding in a convoy of vehicles.
The BJP MP was arrested on August 24 and cases for
murder were filed against him and his associates. He was
granted conditional bail almost a year later on August 6,
2010, by the Allahabad High Court, following which Rashadi
appealed in the apex court.
The Ulema leader claimed the MP, being a powerful leader,
was constantly threatening him and his followers if he failed
to withdraw the case and hence sought cancellation of his
A bench of justices P Sathasivam and J Chelameshwar,
however, declined to interfere with bail saying the High Court
has made it clear that in case of breach of any of the
conditions, the trial court will have the liberty to send the
MP back to jail.
The state`s counsel also assured the court that trial in
the case would be completed expeditiously.
"We also direct the trial court to complete the trial
within a period of four months from the date of the receipt of
copy of this order without unnecessary adjournments," the
bench said while refusing to cancel the bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez