SC seeks Centre, UP`s response on threat to Taj
New Delhi: Taking suo motu cognisance of
media reports that the Taj Mahal might collapse by the next
five years, the Supreme Court on Friday sought response from the
Centre and Uttar Pradesh government on the reported threat
to the 17th century monument of love.
A bench of justices D K Jain and A R Dave issued notices
to the UP government, the Archaeological Survey of India and
the Ministry of Environment and Forest and asked them to file
their response within two weeks.
The mausoleum’s foundations are reportedly rotting and
turned brittle as the Yamuna river, which feeds the building’s
mahogany,(evergreen trees), is running dry owing to
deforestation and pollution.
It is stated that the foundation of the famous monument
had been damaged and the wood used in the wells had rotten.
It was said that water in the Yamuna is an essential
pre-requisite to maintain the massive foundation that supports
a complex system of wells, arches and wooden spoked wheels and
the dry ambience could fragment and disintegrate the massive
The Taj was built by Mughal Emperor Shahjahan in memory
of his third wife Mumtaz between 1632 and 1653.
The matter has been listed for further hearing on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing