SC verdict `long overdue`: Jaswant Singh
Coimbatore: Terming the Supreme Court verdict
on 2G scam as "well-deserved" and "long overdue," BJP leader
Jaswant Singh on Friday said it was a shame that the success story
of the telecom revolution in India was being "sullied" by UPA
government`s activities on the issue.
"I am also disappointed by the first reaction of the
Government, articulated by the Telecommunications Minister,
Kapil Sibal, transferring the very responsibility on NDA and a
(former) minister, who is arrested and languishing in jail for
the last one year" the former Finance Minister said.
Reacting to the apex verdict on cancelling the 2G spectrum
licences yesterday, Singh, who was also former Exernal Affairs
Minister in the Vajpayee-led NDA government, said, "The
honourable minister is trying to transfer the responsibility
in a disingenous manner."
While blaming the NDA for the 2003 policy which the UPA
implemented, Sibal had sought to shift blame on irregularities
in the manner in which it was implemented on then Telecom
Minister A Raja.
"The Supreme Court has clearly said that the then minister
(Raja) did not heed to the good advise of both Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh and the Finance Ministry," Sibal had said.
However, Singh said he was very glad by the verdict, which
was "well deserved and long over due."
Asked if there was need for Sibal to resign in view of his
claim of zero loss in 2G allocation, Singh said with the court
quantifying the loss, Sibal should spread this information (of
loss), instead of continuing to talk of zero loss.
Singh was here to participate in the consecration ceremony
of a newly-constructed Guruvayurappan temple by an Ayurvedic
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Dr. Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of time management
- India can save $50 billion if logistics costs are brought down to 9% of GDP: Study
- Worsening depression, a predictor of dementia
- Fire ravages Muslim prayer hall in Corsica, criminal attack suspected
- UJALA will be implemented across country by 2019: Piyush Goyal
- Tiger-Shraddha's 'Baaghi' mints Rs 11.87 crore on opening day!