Science Congress to award Ratan Tata
Chennai: The Indian Science Congress on Tuesday
said Tata Group chief Ratan Tata has been selected for the
Jawarharlal Nehru Birth Centenary Award which would be
conferred at a time convenient to him.
Reacting to media reports on Tata`s absence at the Science
Congress here yesterday, Tata Sons said in a statement that
Tata`s office had no information that the industrialist was to
receive the award from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here on
When contacted, Indian Science Congress (ISC) President K
C Pandey said indeed Tata was among the awardees and his
office was aware of it.
ISC Executive Secretary Amit De said the Jawaharlal Nehru
Birth Centenary Award is never given by the Prime Minister at
"We seek a time convenient to the awardee and even the
place or city is of his choice. He can select any city where
ISCA has its Chapters," De said.
Pandey said he was told by the local organisers about
Tata`s presence at the Congress and hence he had announced
that the award would be conferred on him.
"Tata was not in Chennai on that day and, in the absence
of any such communication about the award, had no intention to
be there," the Tata Sons statement said.
The Prime Minister, who inaugurated the five-day gathering
of scientists, conferred awards on leading scientists and
Nobel laureates, including Venkataraman Ramakrishnan-- the
2009 Chemistry laureate.
Besides Ramakrishnan, Ada Yonath, Thomas Steitz, Tim
Hunt and Martin Chalfie were among the scientists who were
honoured by the Prime Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family